Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Someone I Admire

Author's note: Written around the beginning of 2008, a homework. I didn't get high marks for this but the content could be worth sharing though I couldn't really write it properly. You can google her name to know more about her.

Around the end of 2006, I watched a Japanese TV drama “1 Litre of Tears”. It is inspired from the diary of Aya Kito who was diagnosed with spinocerebellar ataxia when she was 15. The incurable degenerative disease causes the person to lose control over their body, but because the person can retain all mental ability, it acts as a prison. However, she struggled to live her life to the fullest until her death when she was 25.

One day, Aya’s class would practice basketball passes. She and a classmate who forgot to bring her attire would be in study hall. A classmate said that was so lucky. She was boiled with anger. She said that she wanted to switch bodies, even one day, so that the classmate maybe would understand her feeling that she could not do anything she wanted to do.

Many people, including me, are often too ungrateful of our lives. Despite all the things I have and I can do, I still long for other’s greener grass. I began to be more appreciative of every single activity I can do. More importantly, I am very impressed that Aya actually put her effort to make people see things from her point of view. Many people do not wonder if this disease with undiscovered cause struck them.

When Aya was sixteen, she went through numerous tests. Some tests hurt her. Several others required her to do things such as standing on her tiptoes and closing her eyes. After the test, the doctor asked her whether it was fun. She felt treated like guinea pig. Then, her head hurt after some shots. She also made a mistake in interview. She felt miserable. She said that she studied hard because that was the only thing she was good at.

Difficulties came across her life as her disease developed. I understand that I am so fortunate compared to her. She had to do the things she did not want to do and she could not do the things she wanted to do. However, she determined to do better in what she still could do. Even I sometimes be too easily satisfied and forget to improve. She had opened my eyes to realise more.

As I watch the drama and read her diary, I know I would improve. I often get too depressed that I feel I am the most unfortunate person in the world. However, when I remembered Aya, I feel guilty that I am not thankful enough. I am luckier than numerous people. Most importantly, it grows in my heart that I must determine to live my life to the fullest despite all troubles. She inspired me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment